How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how hard is it to file a federal state tax return

This answer was rated:

how hard is it to file a federal state tax return
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Are you saying "estate" tax return? How much in estate assets? Why is the return being file?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We've already done probate. My father's estate was worth 2.1 million aproximately that leaves 3. something under the portability. But we have to file a federal tax return to do so. I don't want to pay our lawyer more as he hasn't been helpful in the least bit so I was curious on how hard or if we should attempt to do it ourselves?

If all you are doing is to file a 706 (estate tax return) to elect portability then it should be a very easy return. It is a fill in the blank form that is published by the IRS. It is shorter than an income tax return.

Here is the form and instructions.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Elder and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Estate Law Questions