How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55278
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued by a cousin of my ex wife for a "loan" of $20,000

This answer was rated:

I am being sued by a cousin of my ex wife for a "loan" of $20,000 in 2004. The loan was paid back in goods. He is now suing me for the above amount of money and has attached a poorly written contract that has my signature on it. I never signed this document, but it appears he took copied my signature off of something else, perhaps even getting it from my ex wife. Over the past year or so he has presented me with different contracts for differing amounts, dates etc. They are all fradulent, but yet again have my xeroxed signature. He has never presented anything with my orignal signature...because it does not exist. It is also interesting how this law suit surfaced after he found out I am engaged to a nurse. I myself have a very limited income, and receive SSDI only. I do not even know what kind of lawyer I need. Thank you!

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. First, CA has a 4 year statute of limitations for written contracts, a 5 year statute of limitations for promissory notes, and a 2 year statute of limitations for verbal agreement. No matter what you have in your case, it is beyond the statute of limitations and thus that gives you an absolute defense. So, you simply answer the lawsuit or appear at the hearing and assert the statute of limitations as an absolute defense.

Thank you so
much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I've done my best to provide information which
will be helpful to you.
If I have not
fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I
have misinterpreted your questions in any way,
please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so
I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer
. If I have fully answered your
question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service
with 3, 4, or 5
faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to
provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The issue is he has filed a copy of a false contract with the court. With a date of 2009 instead of 2004. that has a copy of my signature on the document. The process server served my fiance by throwing a copy of the summons on her feet at my front door. Also, what type of attorney do I need to hire? General, contract or what? Thank you!

You would want to engage a civil trial attorney. And, since these are also forged documents, you want to contact the district attorney's office and pursue criminal fraud and forgery charges. You're's my pleasure to help!
Richard and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve
you! If I can be of assistance to you in
the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!