How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask zdnlaw Your Own Question
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
zdnlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister gave me an old will copy (1984) of my fathers will

This answer was rated:

My sister gave me an old will copy (1984) of my fathers will however my father told me that he updated his will in 1991, her lawyer also said that this is theresent copy, however I been finding discrepences with things since my fathers passing in 2009. How do I ck for a copy of his correct will?
Unfortunately, wills are generally not documents which are kept in public files. Sometimes, people file the wills in the county clerks records, but this is rarely done and most counties don't accept them. To play it safe, you should contact the county clerk for where your father lived and check to see if they keep wills.

If you cannot locate the most recent copy of the will in your family's documents then the best place to check would be with the lawyer who you think drew up your father's will. You might also check with your mother's lawyer as well. The lawyers who draft the will are supposed to keep copies of the will.

Also, if your father had a safe deposit box or a safe, that would be a good place to start.

You need to hurry, as the right to contest a will filed in probate is set on a deadline. If the 1984 will has already been probated, then it may be too late to contest it with a later will.
zdnlaw and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you