How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do you file a complaint with the state bar?

This answer was rated:

how do you file a complaint with the state bar?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Welcome! Thank you for your question.

You can file a complaint on your own. Here is the website with the form:

It is as easy as filing out the complaint form and submitting it to the bar association.

Many complaints typically take up to six months to complete an investigation. In particularly complex cases, the investigation could take as long as a year. Many complaints are diverted out of the process along the way with, for example, a referral to mandatory mediation, an agreement requiring the attorney to meet certain conditions, or the attorney's participation in other programs.

I cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you already know. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Unfortunately, sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. I hope you appreciate that I have given you an accurate understanding of the law. I will not just tell you what you want to hear.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Please show your appreciation for my candor by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, the SMILEY FACE and positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Customer: replied 5 years ago.


By filing a complaint, will that just slap the hand of the bankruptcy attorney if they find he misinformed us? We have called around to see if we have just cause for a lawsuit against him and found that attorneys are not want to take on a case against another attorney.

It will likely just be a hand slap, unless this is something that has been complained about in the past. Generally more serious punishment results if the attorney stole money or did some intentional bad action.

Give me an idea of where the attorney is located and I will search for legal malpractice attorneys in the area.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The attorney is located in Fountain Valley, CA

We lost our home when he filed not to contest the lift of stay during our bankruptcy. He told us not to show up at the hearing that it did not matter because B of A was in second position and it was a bluff. We questioned it and reitterated that our desire was to keep our home but he told us not to worry. Our house was sold at auction without us even knowing and we were forced out within 3 months. He admitted he did not know how B of A was able to forclose.

Wow. That is unfortunate and I am sorry to hear that. It sounds like you where taking the right legal steps to try and do everything you could do. Those missteps give lawyers a bad name. We should be making sure we know what we are talking about before we advise our clients on actions to take or not to take. It is also a general rule of thumb to NEVER allow a hearing to go on without legally appearing.

Here is the only attorney in the area listed as taking legal malpractice cases:

Here is a list of attorneys in the LA area that list themselves as taking legal malpractice cases. I would suggest the highest peer review rated attorneys first:
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Thank you for your reply. As I understand attorneys not wanting to be in court against their peers, going out of the area as in Los Angeles may be the better route. Again, thank you for your advice.

The ones I sent you have listed legal malpractice as a Practice. I would expect any of those attorneys to represent you in that suit.
John Elder and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you