Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I need a forgiveness on my student loans. I am on public assistance

Customer Question
& am on SSI and...
I need a forgiveness on my student loans. I am on public assistance & am on SSI and SSRetirement. Can they garnish my SS income?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Estate Law
5/1/2012
Estate Lawyer: John Elder, Estate & Elder Law replied 5 years ago
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

They are incorrect about their ability to collect. They cannot garnish your SSI or SS retirement.

With that said, you cannot get forgiveness. You cannot get student loans forgiven or discharged in bankruptcy. They can bug you to death but they cannot garnish your SSI or SS retirement.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button or the :) BUTTON. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking either button WILL NOT close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you already know. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear John…”

I understand that I can not get a forgiveness in a bankruptcy, but I thought you could get one if you are totally & permanently disabled.Is this accurate?
Sorry. Your original question did not mention that you where disabled. You mentioned SSI and SS retirement. Nothing about disabled or Social Security Disability.

Here are the rules for discharge if you are totally and permanently disabled:

For total and permanent disability discharge applicants, if a physician (doctor of medicine or osteopathy) certified that you are totally and permanently disabled and you meet certain other requirements during a three-year conditional discharge period your loan(s) may be discharged. You may request a "Discharge Application: Total and Permanent Disability" the US Department of Education forms request page.

John Elder
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law