Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My father passed away this week and I would like a representative

Customer Question
at the reading of the...
My father passed away this week and I would like a representative at the reading of the will, once I find out when and where that is going to be. The funeral is schedule for the 10th of April. My father lived in Richmond California. The representative will have to be african-american, there will be enough friction just having the rep. there. I'm living in Dominican Republic right now, waiting for my immigration paperwork to completed this year for my new wife.

Reason for representative:

I have not lived in the States for over 30 years. Was in the U.S. Army for 4 yrs. in Germany an the rest of the time I worked as a civilian there, My mother passed away in 1995 and I still have not received anything, although she said I would. She had a total of 7 children some had different fathers (that is water under the bridge).

Including me my father have three children, there were four of us but my brother died in the late eighties (he had one son).

1).What legal rights do I have in the State of California concerning inhertance, is there a minimum I can receive?

2). What are you fees for representing me at the reading of the will.

3). Can I contest the will.

4). Can you find out the total assets involved, My father talked about land, oil, insurance,
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Estate Law
4/1/2012
Estate Lawyer: John Elder, Estate & Elder Law replied 5 years ago
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

I'll answer your questions in bold below:

1).What legal rights do I have in the State of California concerning inheritance, is there a minimum I can receive?

There is no minimum in California. If your father did not have a Will then you are entitled to an equal share with your siblings.

We cannot represent you at a hearing. Here is a list of attorneys in that area of California that are experienced with estates. You will need to determine which ones are African American. The website does not let me narrow that down.

http://www.lawyers.com/All-Areas-of-Law/California/Richmond/attorneys-and-law-firms.html?s=estate%20administration&ns=y&st=q&form=LGSS
3). Can I contest the will.

Yes, if you can prove that your father did not know what he was doing or that he was unduly influenced into how he wrote the will.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button or the :) BUTTON. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking either button WILL NOT close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you already know. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear XXXXX…”

John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
what about question 4! Can a lawyer find out the total assets my father have?
John Elder
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law