Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

On March 3, 2011 my Mother-In-Law paid an attorney (Florida…

On March 3, 2011 my...
On March 3, 2011 my Mother-In-Law paid an attorney (Florida attorney) to file and probate a will from the death of my Father-In-Law (Dec. 30, 2010). It has been a year, I have tried for the last 45 days to get a reasonable response from the attorney and all she tells me is she is working on it?? At this point my Mother-In-Law just wants the paper work back so we can have someone else process the paper work. To whom do I need to appeal to get some help in the return of the paperwork. She was given the original will and a certified death certificate.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2012
HCLegal
HCLegal, Attorney

HCLegal : Hello and thank you for your question here on Just Answer.
HCLegal : I am sorry to hear about the problems you are havingn with this attorney.
HCLegal : What you need to do is send the attorney a letter stating that you are firing her and that you want all of your documents back within 10 days.
HCLegal : You should also state that you want a detailed accounting of all the money that you have paid her.
HCLegal : If she does not respond within the 10 days then you can file a complaint against her with the Florida state bar.
HCLegal : Attorneys are held to a higher standard and the fact that the attorney is neglecting your case is to acceptable.
HCLegal : If you already have a new attorney in mind you can have that new attorney send the demand letter for you. Often times that will help move things along.
Customer:

Do i have to send the letter by registered mail for a signature or just a receipt of delivery?

HCLegal : I would send it certified mail with return receipt requested so that you can prove when she received it.
HCLegal :  I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT, this is the only way that I will get credit for assisting you– I receive no credit for helping you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.
Customer:

One other question, do you have the contact information for the Florida Bar?

HCLegal
HCLegal, Attorney
Thank you for your assistance.
Your are welcome. Thank you for the bonus!