Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am my fathers only living next of kin he has been living…

Customer Question
I am my fathers only...
I am my fathers only living next of kin he has been living with a woman since my mom passed away.He is now in a nursing home with dementia She is also the executor of his will and I am second. Can I contest this will once he is deceased? When he was of sound mind he told me he was leaving her the house which is paid for. Also in the state of Florida after seven years are they considered husband and wife? Do I have a chance contesting this will? Thankyou so much, Maria Louke
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Estate Law
3/13/2012
Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
First, the only time you can contest a will is after death.

No, there is no common law marriage in Florida.

You may want to get a guardianship over him now and then also begin investigating what he has been doing with his money as well as his mental health so you can determine at what point he may have become incapacitated and been unable to change his will.

Since you think you want to contest the will you will need to meet with a lawyer to start working out a "game plan".

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.