Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

i live in michigan and have two civil judgements against me.

Customer Question
one originated in 2000 and...
i live in michigan and have two civil judgements against me. one originated in 2000 and one in 2001. since the original date of the judgements ganishments have been performed, one in 2003 and one in 2007 by each judgement holder. all has been quiet since then. (no satisfaction was obtained by either judgement). my question is this, does the garnishment action in 2003 and in 2007 extend the statue of limitations by those dates? or unless "renewed" are the judgements past the statue of limitations. i cant find any evidence of a "renewable" action and the file clerk is unsure of how the sol works
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Estate Law
3/13/2012
Estate Lawyer: John Elder, Estate & Elder Law replied 6 years ago
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

The garnishments do not extend the statute of limitations on the judgments. The judgments would have to be renewed by a filing in the court file where the original judgments are located.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear XXXXX…”

John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law

Dear John, (smirk)

When i checked with the clerks office today she pulled both judgement files containing the original judgements. I asked her for any indicating forms or paperwork that would indicate any of the judgements were "renewed" she indicated that both folders folders contained only the original judgement and the garnishment forms. If a judgement was indeed renewed, would there have to be ensuing paperwork indicating that either judgement was renewed in the folders? and if not then i could assume that both judgement are now past the statue of limitations?

Relist: Other.
lawyer is unavailable for a follow up question
Estate Lawyer: InformationForYou, Attorney replied 6 years ago
InformationForYou

I'm assuming these judgments weren't for support (as support judgments don't have a statute of limitations). In order to renew a regular civil judgment (not for support), there actually needs to be a new filing of a lawsuit to renew the original judgment.

Good luck and please click accept to give me credit for responding.