Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My Aunt passed away march 1st 2012. She lived in Arizona and…

Customer Question
My Aunt passed away march...
My Aunt passed away march 1st 2012. She lived in Arizona and died there. She was a ward of the court in Maricopa county. I received a certified letter stating that I am legally responsible for the fee of her barial/cremation. There is no estate and I'm not on any accounts or anything. Am I legally responsible? I live in Nevada
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Estate Law
3/13/2012
Estate Lawyer: John Elder, Estate & Elder Law replied 6 years ago
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

Unless you have received any assets from your Aunt, then you are not responsible for the fee for her burial. Who is the letter from? Here is the statute that lists the people responsible for such costs.

NRS 451.025 Reimbursement for burial expenses paid with public money. If the governing body of any county, city or town within the State of Nevada must arrange for and order the decent burial of any person dying within such county, city or town, leaving a husband or wife or parent in whose custody such person remained at the time he or she died, which husband or wife or parent is not indigent and not otherwise eligible for assistance as a poor person and expenses for a decent burial have been paid out of public funds pursuant to such an order, the county, city or town must be reimbursed for its expenses of burial of the dead body of such person by the husband, wife or parent charged by law with the duty of burial.

(Added to NRS by 1971, 131; A 1983, 139)

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear XXXXX…”

John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
The letter came from Maricopa County of Arizona, Public Fiduciary.
Unfortunately they are trying to get money from someone that has no obligation to pay.
Thank you very much for your information
Your welcome!
John Elder
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law