Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Our father died very recently and he left everything to his…

Customer Question
Our father died very recently...
Our father died very recently and he left everything to his defacto and if she passes it goes to her own kids...they have been together for 18yrs...as for us we have always been in contact with our father even though we have our own family...can we contest the will?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Estate Law
3/8/2012
Estate Lawyer: Lawyer Lori, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Attorney

Lawyer Lori :

Can you tell me what state your father was living in when he died?

Lawyer Lori :

Generally, a parent has no obligation to leave anything to their children. But his heirs may have the option to contest the will on statutory grounds which typically include him not being competent or by having someone exert undue influence on him to execute the will.

Lawyer Lori :

Please let me know what state your father was in when he died and I may be able to give you more specific information.

JACUSTOMER-8s7wh7zf- :

i am from australia

Lawyer Lori :

I apologize - this was in the US category. I will have it transferred. Please do not respond as that may slow your response time.

Estate Lawyer: Alex, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Alex
Alex, Lawyer

Yes, you can contest the Will - but you need to act quickly so you don't miss your opportunity.

Depending on what state you reside I may be able to recommend a good solicitor who could help. Just let me know if you're interested.

If my answer has been helpful or informative to you, please hit the Accept button.