Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

my mother has a house that was only in her name. She passed…

Customer Question
my mother has a house...
my mother has a house that was only in her name. She passed away and her signed copy of the will cannot be found. How long can you wait to transfer the title to the survivor's. my stepfather is reluctant to go and sign the deed along with my siblings and myself. He wants to wait and not deal with it. Is there an amount of time that you are allowed to wait.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Estate Law
3/3/2012
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good afternoon. If there is no will that can be found, that means she will be deemed to have died intestate and the state's intestate rules will apply. Someone will need to file a petition with the probate court to be appointed the administrator of her estate so that he/she will have the authority to act on behalf of the estate. That person can then immediately transfer the property by deed to the parties pursuant to the Illinois intestate succession rules.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Does someone have to be apointed administrator. My real question is how long do we have to get this taken care of since my stepfather is being "uncooperative" He thinks he can wait as long as he wants, but the house right now is in no one's name.

Yes...because it's real estate, you cannot do this by small estate affidavit. And, you don't have to wait for the stepfather...anyone can file the petition to be appointed the administrator. If he will not act, one of the rest of you should. Delaying this will not impact the outcome....the intestate rules are still going to apply.