Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My Dads attorney left my name off as co-trustee which was…

Customer Question
My Dad's attorney left my...
My Dad's attorney left my name off as co-trustee which was entirely contrary to 20 years prior. I was also co-trustee of my Mom's estate. All of it was an obvious flub. The attorney promised he would correct within 1 months time....my Dad died 4 months later without the correction.

Dad was told that having a bank as co-trustee would help to prevent IRS complications and went on that advise, He never intended for the bank to "rule" as they now are.
The Trustee at the bank has also been let go and I'm left in outfield. Is there anything I can do?
I'm aware that I can switch bank trust departments, but am not sure that will alleviate the complications.
Somehow, I'd like to correct, although I know that is not possible. At the very least, I'd like to see this Attorney hung...........is that possible?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Estate Law
3/2/2012
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good afternoon. If you can show evidence that the attorney acknowledged the error and promised to fix and did not, you can file a formal ethics complaint and a legal malpractice suit against the lawyer. As far as changing the trustees, unfortunately, you will be stuck with the terms of the trust agreement which govern the removal of trustees and appointment of successor trustees.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.