Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

what can I do regards XXXXX XXXXX filing taxes, married head…

Customer Question
what can I do regards...
what can I do regards XXXXX XXXXX filing taxes, married head of household when I cannot contact my spouse to get information due to a restraining order
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/26/2012
Estate Lawyer: John Elder, Estate & Elder Law replied 6 years ago
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

Unfortunately, you have to file married filing separately. You cannot file married head of household or a joint return.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear John…”

cannot even complete the return as if i fille married filing separately, I would need his income whcih I cannot get...as I am trying to file my taxes as the court needs this for my annulment, and they need the current income tax files. the only option that lets me file w/o his data is single head of household.
You are not single if you are still married. You cannot file a Single Head of Household return.

You must file married filing separately. You are being asked income because you are in a community property state. Unfortunately in California because you are community property, you are considered to have 1/2 of his income. If he is refusing to provide you the income information then you cannot file the return. You can make a motion with the court in the annulment action for the court to order him to provide you his income information.
have stated my dilemma
cannot file married filing jointly as I reside in CA and to do this way would require my spouses informationm, and I cannot get his information as he is violent and I have a restraining order so the only selection is single head of household that has thw option of not having to have his tax information.

Single Head of Household is NOT CORRECT. You would be in violation of tax code by filing that return. It is the same as not filing a return to file an improper return.

I gave you your options regarding how to get his income:

If he is refusing to provide you the income information then you cannot file the return. You can make a motion with the court in the annulment action for the court to order him to provide you his income information.