Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My father gave me power of attorney on October 14, 2009 for…

Customer Question
My father gave me power...
My father gave me power of attorney on October 14, 2009 for his 1998 Ford Lincoln and car title. I signed the car title to me for ownership on October 14, 2009 to me, but never register it in our home town memphis Tn. He died Jan.4, 2012. My brother went to registration office in memphis with my father death certificated and an affidavit of inheritance document and recieved car tags and title for my father vehicle. The affidavit was that he presented was not signed by all my father children. My father has 9 children and the affidavit had only two name which are not my father children. I filed a law civil against my brother for falsified documents in general sessions court and subpoena the registration document from Shebly County Clerk Office. We went to court on Feb. 23 and my brother did not show his lawyer did and his trying to have the case move to probate court for my father ecstate. I have my father car hide because my brother trepassed onto my property with a locksmith to make key for my father car. He called the police to try to get them to give him the car, but I showed them my power of attorney and car title with my name signed on both and they refused him the car. He stole my father tags off his car and replace his tags for I came home for work beacuse my son heard the car alarm and called me. The brother still have my father old car tags. I need to know what's my rights to me father car and what step do I need to do to get my father car back. My father lived with me for 15 years before he died and had no will.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/25/2012
Estate Lawyer: David L, Attorney replied 6 years ago
David L
David L, Attorney
Hello. The other attorney is probably correct that your case belongs in probate, so most likely the judge will transfer it there. The probate judge can review your power of attorney and determine who actually should now own the car. The fact that your brother falsified the affidavit is obviously not a good thing. The car should either go to you or be part of the estate. That would be a question for the judge to decide based on all the evidence.
The information you gave me ,I already knew that. I thought you would give me information on how to handle my case and what steps i need to take to solve my problems/
Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
You will have to file a claim for the car in the probate court because anything to do with it will be a part of that proceeding. However, your chances of winning are extremely low because you cannot use a Power of Attorney to "self deal". "Self dealing" is when you somehow enrich yourself through the use of the POA.

While your brother was wrong to get the title transferred as he did, the court will just nullify that transaction and the car then goes back to the estate. You can file your claim with the estate and when the court voids the transaction that your brother did the court will then look to your transaction. If your brother's attorney argues it correctly the court will void that transaction as well and the car will then be handled through probate.

I understand that you may not like this answer, and I am sorry that I couldn't give you one that was favorable, but it is the correct answer and you can now take action accordingly.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Can I file charges against my brother for his action
You can TRY to file charges. Charges are actually filed by the police and the DA but you can certainly file a complaint and ask them to file charges.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney