Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My elderly father wants to sell his property and gift the proceeds…

Customer Question
My elderly father wants to...
My elderly father wants to sell his property and gift the proceeds to his 3 children. Estimating $150000. What is involved? Is there a particular process or can the checks be written at the time of closing directly to the children? Anything more I should know?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/22/2012
Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Checks can be written at any time and he would be liable for claiming gift taxes for any amounts over $13,500 and also filing the amount of gifts over the gift amount on his taxes which would go towards his lifetime gift credit. He can write the checks right at or after the closing to the children.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

It was my understanding that he could gift up to $600,000 in lifetime without incurring a tax event to the recipients. Is the gifting simply a formality above $13500 or what tax events will happen to the recipients?
Correct, it is $13,000 per year to avoid taxes or counting towards the lifetime gift credit of $1M. Anything gifted over $13,000 per year goes towards the lifetime gift credit for payment of taxes. Thus, instead of giving it all at once he should consider placing the funds in an account and giving the maximum of $13,000 per year to each person to avoid the gifting tax implications.