Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

-Thank You for taking the time to hear my cry. This hearing…

Customer Question
-Thank You for taking the...
-Thank You for taking the time to hear my cry. This hearing is scheduled for Tuesday of next week. My husband died 4 months ago as I was recovering from surgery. I haven't done anything legally regarding his estate. Is there anything I can do, say file something on Monday regarding the distribution of his estate (debt), that can help me regarding this foreclosure hearing on Monday? There was two major errors in the certified mail I received regarding it just two weeks ago. Time and location. Could that give me any leverage? I'm so ignorant of these things. I will hire an attorney but will need a few days to put together the type of retainer I'm sure this will require. Is there anything I can do to give this most troubling situation a few more days to prepare for? I don't mind showing up for the hearing if you feel it will help to tell the clerk personally I'm getting his estate affairs in order. My husband unfortunately didn't have a will. His death was sudden. Thanks~
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Estate Law
2/18/2012
Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
You would need to get to an attorney on Monday, since you will not be able to get anything together to file this fast on your own I am afraid. The attorney will file to open probate and include the house in the probate and then he would file a motion to continue the foreclosure based on the probate. If you explain to the attorney it is an emergency, they will generally help first and work out the retainer and fees later.

However, here is a sample Motion for Continuance for NC courts and you can print it out and file it Monday for the foreclosure case and explain you need time for an attorney and also that the house is part of a probate estate as grounds for your continuance.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Thank You So Much. I hope your evening is relaxing! You've at least gotten me out of the 'brights' on the headlights, ha!

Thank you.