Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

Heir still refuses to return items declared to be estate property.

Estate atty requested the property...
Heir still refuses to return items declared to be estate property. Estate atty requested the property be returned for an appraisal (offending heir got 2 appraisals from same jeweler with 80% difference in fair market value and retail value--suspicious) Estate atty has threatened citation at least 4 times but will not follow through. He will not take control of the estate. Removing the exec is an option but the estate atty has not followed through on any attempts to follow the will (equitable distribution of property). Estate in PA, heir and property in Florida--what are the legal options to: 1. get the estate assets back to the estate atty, 2. force the estate atty to follow through on his directives (2 years into this simple estate). Attempt to fire estate atty?
11/3/2011
1) It is the estate attorney's duty to the estate to recover those items and if he is not properly performing that duty by filing a motion to compel and an order for contempt against the offending heir you can file a complaint for malpractice against him.

2) You can hire a new estate attorney to represent you and file a claim against the estate to remove both the attorney and executor for breach of fiduciary duty to the estate in being unwilling or unable to perform their duty in getting a proper estate accounting by getting the estate property back to the estate.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

any actions against the heir who took the items from the decedent's home and refuses to return them? thank you for your answer.
Any actions against the heir would have to be by the estate against the heir, which would mean the executor and estate attorney. Thus, you first have to straighten out the issue with the attorney and executor and then the estate would pursue the heir.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney