How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawGirl Your Own Question
LawGirl, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I have experience in this practice area.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LawGirl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my sons father past away. My son is 38 and has a learning

Resolved Question:

my son's father past away. My son is 38 and has a learning disability. His step mom will not give him anything. What are his rights? Warren, Michigan
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LawGirl replied 6 years ago.

LawGirl :

Thank you for your question. Although I am an attorney, I cannot represent you. However, I will give you the most thorough information I am able; however, I have a couple of questions first. Did your son's father leave anything in his estate? Was there a will?


there was no will.

LawGirl and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there was no will
Expert:  LawGirl replied 6 years ago.
If there was no will, then your son very well may have inheritance rights to his father's estate. To the extent there was value to the estate, local state laws may require the estate to be probated. So, it may be worth checking the local probate court to find out whether there is currently an open probate for his estate. Keep in mind that different jurisdictions have limits as to the minimum estate value required for probate to be open. If your son's father only had a few hundred dollars, then chances are the estate will not be probated. However, if it is likely that the estate was worth a few hundred thousand dollars, that is a different story. Please keep in mind that to the extent that the estate is being probated, the administrator of the estate is likely required to give your son notice. However, if you feel that your son's father's wife is not being honest, it may be advisable to contact the local probate court.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."