How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney at Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Attorney with experience in wills, estates and trusts
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What exactly is a letter of special administration My father

Resolved Question:

What exactly is a letter of special administration? My father died last fall, with a trust and will that he changed on his deathbed (long story). He named his fiance as executor of his estate, with my stepsister as successor trustee. I got a letter today from the fiance's attorney that there's a hearing for a letter of special administration coming up in a couple weeks. My stepsister has been handling everything as successor trustee up until now. This is taking place in California...
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
An interested party may petition the court for Letters of Special Administration. These letters appoint a personal representative (executor) of the estate for a limited time and for a limited purpose. These letters can authorize the executor to carry out a specific transaction, such as the payment of a hospital bill or the collection of a debt on behalf of the estate. You would need to contact the attorney to find out why there has been a request to appoint a special administrator.
lwpat and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you