How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Adult Guardianship Experience
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there somewhere I can get a copy of a will if I am one of

This answer was rated:

Is there somewhere I can get a copy of a will if I am one of the benificeries? My brother was the poa and has not allowed my sister or I to see the will or told us anything about what was left. We know that our parents had allot more then he is leading us to believe.

Jane Doe Deer :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don’t know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I’m unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.


Although it’s usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


Or, if we are chatting, and I don’t hear back from you for an extended period of time, I will move on to other customers and then come back later to check for replies or follow-up questions from you.


I need the following information before I can answer your question:


Can you please tell me whether or not you are sure that your most-recently deceased parent had a will?

What has your brother told you about the will and what was left? Were your parents in a nursing home before they died?

Please be aware that and are pay-for-answer web companies. You have offered to pay $30 for my work and I just need your acknowledgement that you will pay JustAnswer and me for the answer (as long as you are satisfied that I answered your question, of course).


I'll look forward to hearing from you,


Jane Doe Deer

Customer: My brother has told us that we should get about thirty thousand each back. We know for a fact that our grandfather left our mom 240,000,.00. They were not in a nursing home after mom died my father moved in with my brother, he survived 3 years. I know for a fact my brother used 27,000.00 for a down payment on his new house. My mother never touched the principle nor did my father who had alhimers.
Jane Doe Deer :

The first thing to do is check the court records for the county in which your parents died. Wills are filed with the court in the Probate division. The files are public records. If you can't find them in that county, find out from the clerk's office if there is a way to do a statewide search for you in your state, checking the records of all counties.

If wills have been filed in court, just go to the courthouse and read them. Expect to pay per page for any copies you want to buy - bring $50 in cash, at least.

If you cannot find a will, your next step would be to open a probate case yourself, and have a judge make your brother provide all financial evidence he has been withholding from you. I would use a probate attorney for this myself, even though I'm an attorney, because I personally don't like dealing with accounting and financial records, but that's your choice, of course.

May I be of any further help to you today? It's pouring rain here, so I'll be close to my computer for the rest of the day.

My best,


Customer: My parents did have a will but my brother has kept it from us. Is there anyway to get a copy and where would we go to get a copy
Jane Doe Deer :

Hi! I think our messages may have crossed. I answered at length right above your last post, with an explanation of what to do if the will has been filed in court, and what to do if it hasn't been.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: What court do I go to ? Probate?
Jane Doe Deer :

Yes. You seemed to have missed it, above. I said the "Probate Division."

I'm sorry for the loss of your parents.

My best,


Customer: Thank you so much , it is very difficult losing both parents. When your young you think they will be there forever. I know what moms wishes were and she would not like what my brothers doing but she would not like us fighting either. I prob. won't get a lawyer due to causing a rift in the family, but it was a family member that told us what mom had and wanted to do with it. I would like to have a copy though just so I know, my sister can do as she wishes. Thank you for all your help, I hope your weather gets berthed soon
Jane Doe Deer :

Thanks so much. If I answered your question, please "accept" my answer so that Just Answer can continue this service.



Jane Doe Deer and 4 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you