How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel P. Your Own Question
Daniel P.
Daniel P., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2742
Experience:  I have my own practice in Sarasota, FL- Estate Planning, Medicaid & VA law, Probate & Family Law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Daniel P. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died in April. The car was only in his name, and

This answer was rated:

My husband died in April. The car was only in his name, and it was the only non-joint property owned (the house is in both names, I have right of survivorship). We lived in Florida (I now live in the UK). How do I get a copy of the title to the car, and get it transferred to my name so I can sell it? I have also read on the FL DMV site that if you sell a car to or through a dealer, a paper title is not needed, but I imagine that I will still have to provide a copy of his death certificate. Do I need to go to probate? (If so, I'll probably just abandon the car.....)

Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will work diligently and quickly to answer your questions. I look forward to assisting you.


I am sorry for your loss.


You will not need to go through probate.You can complete this form along with a death certificate to transfer title:


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, it is encouraging. I did forget to say that he died without a will, and I do not currently have a paper title, as the title is being held electronically by the DMV. The loan is paid in full, I paid it in June.

Will the above process still work?
Yes, the process should still work.
Daniel P. and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Estate Law Questions