How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer Lori Your Own Question
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2161
Experience:  Attorney - estate planning and probate.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Lawyer Lori is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do I assign an executor ,and probate an estae without a

Customer Question

how do I assign an executor ,and probate an estae without a will?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Lawyer Lori replied 6 years ago.

Lawyer Lori :

How the estate would be divided will be set forth by the state's intestacy statutes. You can find this information at: Essentially, first wife and children and then other family members. To start probate you would need to file an Administration Petition in the Surrogate's Court in the county in which the decedent lived at the time of his death. An administrator will then need to be appointed.

JACUSTOMER-sygb5h8e- :

theres only two children in the family no husbsnd .and one is giving all to the other.

Lawyer Lori :

If there are any probate assets in the estate, then probate will need to be opened. The one child will need to sign a discalimer giving everything to the other - but this is very common.

Lawyer Lori and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you