How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Adult Guardianship Experience
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Looking for an attorney to help with filing a guardianship

Customer Question

Looking for an attorney to help with filing a guardianship for my father. I live in Portland, Oregon, can you recommend someone. I don't have a lot of money to spend, is this something I can do on my own? Your help will be appreciated.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.


While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.


Although it's usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


I need the following information before I can answer your question:


Yes, this is something you can do on your own, and the money can come from your father's estate.


How can I best be of help to you? And thank you for being a return customer.


Please be aware that and are pay-for-answer web companies. You have offered to pay me $30 for my answer and I have accepted.


I'll look forward to hearing from you,


Jane Doe Deer


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What do you need to know?
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 6 years ago.

Well, you asked several questions.


If your father is in dire straits, Adult Protective Services may file for the guardianship for free. You can contact them here:


If there are other reasons, you can find a knowledgeable attorney through this organization: The money for the work will come from your father's estate.


Or, if you decide to do this yourself, your first step is to write up a Petition for Guardianship. Here is Oregon's website of free forms:


Some courts may sell guardianship packets. I suggest that you call your county clerk's office, ask for the guardianship clerk, and then ask if they're available for purchase from their court or another.


After you figure out what to file in court (bring copies with you), you will need to properly serve your father with the papers. The easiest way to do this is to do use a legal messenger service. You can find them with a search online for Oregon.


The type of court you're looking for is "probate" court. It's not always listed, but it will be under state courts.


If you have any follow-up questions, don't hesitate to write back. There's no extra charge. I want to make sure your question is answered to your complete satisfaction.


If you're ready, please click "accept" so that I can be paid. I won't be paid at all otherwise. We can keep on talking after you accept.


Thanks so much. I am taking a break now.


My best,




Jane Doe Deer and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 6 years ago.

You're welcome, and thank YOU for accepting. Good luck to you.