Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother died intestate with only some personal jewelry and…

Customer Question
My mother died intestate with...
My mother died intestate with only some personal jewelry and furniture--no real estate or major assests. I am the oldest of 4 sibings and the youngest sibling took it upon herself to marshall Moms belongings and had no family meeting---She devided Moms personal items to herself and the other 2 siblings and nothing to me. I would like to know if I should get a lawyer to at least acquire the jewelry and other items I gave my mother over the past years of her life. I provided a place for my Mom to live under my roof for 26 years before my husband retired and we moved to florida mom lived in NJ. What can I do to get the items I gave my mother as gifts over the past years.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
7/2/2010
Estate Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney at Law replied 8 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney at Law

Sorry for your loss and my observation has always been that the one that does the most gets the least. Since she died intestate, everything should have been equally divided. The question is whether it is worth fighting over. An attorney will easily run 2500 or more if you get into actually having to file anything. You can retain one to simply write a letter demanding certain items and see what happens. Or you can try to sue yourself in small claims court but that is going to be difficult from Florida. Strangers will often treat you better than your own family. Here is the attorney referral site

http://www.avvo.com

Can a lawyer I hire send letters to my siblings stating that what was done was not according to the law and force them into a meeting with me so we can settle everything with the lawyers advisement. I have my daughters in NJ and will be goig up to visit them and at that time hire a lawyer to get things going. Is what they did by leaving me out against the law? My one sister forced my Mom to agree to give her Moms engagement ring but there was nothing in writing to support this claim, I am willing to spend monies to bring to my siblings attention that what they did was not the proper way to distribute Moms belongings.
You can hire an attorney to write them a letter and request a meeting but you cannot "force" them to do anything unless and until you file a lawsuit. What they did in leaving you out is against the law.