Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If the co-trustees of a revocable living trust passes away,

Customer Question
does the successor trustee apply...
If the co-trustees of a revocable living trust passes away, does the successor trustee apply for an EIN for the Estate or for the Trust? One response received from the IRS was that the Estate appies for an EIN; the assets of the estate is placed in an irrevocable trust and a Trust EIN is required. Another response was that a Trust EIN is only required (??). . .Please respond.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/28/2010
Estate Lawyer: Ellen, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Ellen, Attorney

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

The estate reports on the IRS form 1041 and uses the social security number of the decedent. The trust must obtain an EIN