Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

We had a foster child that we took guardianship of at age of…

Customer Question
We had a foster child...
We had a foster child that we took guardianship of at age of nine and also had his last name changed to ours. He was listed on a govt bond with my husband's mother as an inheritance when she passed. She recently passed away and our son who was 20 passed away two weeks later. He does have biological family, some in prison, but don't know where and have no knowledge of addresses of any, some are homeless. We do have a signed note by our son of money he owed us and had promised to pay back plus we had expenses after his death. Can we recover the govt bond legally?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/27/2010
Estate Lawyer: legaleagle, Attorney replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Attorney
You need to file probate to probate his assets and in the probate court the judge can use the note from your son to repay you the amount he owed out of his assets which will include the government bond.