Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If I leave my unpaid automobile to some one, can the beneficiary…

If I leave my unpaid...
If I leave my unpaid automobile to some one, can the beneficiary continue to make payments and owe the car outright. Or would they need to pay the loan off?

If the beneficiary responsible to my outstanding bills? The estate is worth $180,000 with the sale of the house.

Plan to leave my house to a sister but to insure that she gets co-operation, can I stated something like "12 1/2 goes to another sister and 12 1/2 goes to one of my brothers. On the contingency that they assist the executor with making payments and/or any need repairs in preparation of selling the house. And that they would be reimbursed any monies spent by them in keeping the ortgage current or a making any repairs necessary to sell the house, which would be above the stated 12 1/2 percent."

So I need to specifically state that I leave nothing to another living brother?
Our parents are dead.

Would suggest Legal Zoom of going to a lawyer. Approximately how much should I plan to pay a lawyer?
6/27/2010
If you leave the car to someone and it is unpaid then in order for them to get ownership they would have to either pay off the loan or obtain refinancing in their own name to keep the vehicle. The beneficiary is not liable to pay off your bills, your estate must pay off all bills before any of the beneficiaries can take anything from the estate. Yes, you can leave the percentages as you want and you can make it on a contingency that the perform certain tasks. You may want to consider a trust here to accomplish what you want and have someone in control and to best protect your beneficiaries and the trust (an irrevocable trust) would also protect your house from creditors of yourself or any of the beneficiaries as well from trying to take the property.

You would do best using an attorney to set this up for you to set into place the proper restrictions you want and controls and to also ensure that this holds up to any possible challenges.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

The house can be set into the trust along with your other assets, this protects them in the event you need long term medical care as well. You can set up a simple trust usually for about $1000-$1800, but the protection it gives to your assets is really more valuable than that. The trust pays money to your beneficiaries in any manner you want it to pay, it gives you complete control over how your money is given out at your death. You can even include a clause in there that states that anyone who challenges your trust cannot be a beneficiary of the trust, which eliminates a lot of the fighting that goes on over inheritance.