Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Am I responsible for the early termination fees of a leased…

Customer Question
Am I responsible for the...
Am I responsible for the early termination fees of a leased vehicle only signed for by my husband? I live in California, a Community Property Sate and my husband died in April 2010.
They are billing him for the remainder of the lease payments. What is their recourse? I was told I am not responsible but they will "go after the estate".
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/27/2010
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Hello and thank you for your question. You are not personally liable for his debt as long as you didnt co sign and are not a guarantor and do not now assume the debt. They can pursue his estate only.