Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I have a quick question, my grandfather passed away a few weeks…

Customer Question
I have a quick question...
I have a quick question, my grandfather passed away a few weeks ago and I have 5 aunts and uncles and my mom so there are 6 of them. They are fighting on who has rights to everything. How do we find out who is right?
Ex. my aunt who is the executor is the youngest of the 6, I have one aunt living in my grandparents house who the executor is trying to get to move out. There is a lot of things in the house and they are split almost down the middle with attorney's. I think there is two attorneys but the executor is spending money, out of the estate how does that work? Where do we find the laws with this type of situation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/26/2010
Estate Lawyer: Daniel P., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Daniel P.
Daniel P., Attorney

Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will work diligently and quickly to answer your questions. I look forward to assisting you.

I'm sorry to hear of your grandfather's loss. I will need a few additional facts to better assist you. Did your grandfather have a will? What State did he reside in?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have a will and that is what the problem is it was done some 30 yrs ago and the person who was put in charge is now to put it lightly is a crack head. Sorry!
We live in Washington. There was a lot of stuff in the house that has come up missing, my aunt who is the executor thinks she can get paid for being the executor is that true?
An executor of an estate is entitled to reasonable compensation for their services, so yes, your aunt may get paid for her role as executor. The will, despite it being so old, is what governs how the estate is to be distributed. Anyone in the will, can go to court and get a full accounting and inventory of all the assets. If you dispute the inventory (say it is missing some assets/property) then you can bring this to the court's attention. Perhaps if you have pictures or something showing some of these items which are now "missing".
So my next question is, since she is the one able to make decisions can the others go to court to have her taken off of it? Can they force her to get an accountant?

Yes, you are entitled to a full accounting of the assets to find out how she has spent the estate funds, what items are in the house, valuation of items, etc.

If she is not doing her job properly, any person can go to court and ask to have her removed as executor and someone substituted in her place.

How do I find out about the laws of this? I am really interested?

It is Chapter 11 of the Washington Statutes:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?Cite=11

Here is the section that deals with the executor (personal representative)

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=11.48