Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband has been making some really bad financial decisions…

My husband has been making...
My husband has been making some really bad financial decisions re. credit cards, loans, etc. My main worry is how to protect the house. He has agreed to sign a quitclaim or interspousal transfer (and/or a legal separation). My worries are tax consequences and I have heard that these type of deed transfers can trigger your mortgage lender to demand loan payment in full (He has been the sole breadwinner for some years now and, although I would be able to handle the payments via savings and eventually get a job I could not pay in full). Please advise the best route to pursue to save my house. Thank you.
6/26/2010
Daniel P.
Daniel P., Attorney

Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will work diligently and quickly to answer your questions. I look forward to assisting you.

Are you both on the mortgage?

Yes.
Then there won't be any problem quitclaiming the property so that it is just in your name. There are no tax consequences for transfers between spouses.
What about my mortgage? Can my lender demand payment in full because my husband is no longer on the deed (and I have no job and will not have one for a few months)?
I can't answer that without actually reading your mortgage that you signed. Each one is different. However, so long as he remains on the mortgage they do not care that he is no longer on the deed. They realize that you would not have the funds to pay the mortgage in full and would rather just keep the status quo then force a foreclosure action on you.
Daniel P.
Daniel P., Attorney
Thank you =)
You're very welcome!