Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am in the process of creating an irrevocable trust,and I…

Customer Question
I am in the process...
I am in the process of creating an irrevocable trust,and I have the following questions:

1) The property is owned now by a corporation owned by me and my husband, if we create an irrevocable trust can we both be the trustees and my kids be the benficiaries, I have 2 kids that are over 20 years old. or do the kids have to be the trustees and the beneficiaries at the same time. I have a minor kid 10 years old. In which way would I have more protection from creditors or even a bankruptcy in the future?

2) Is it true that in order to have more protection from creditors I need to sell the property to the trust or can I just transfer the property with a deed?

3) If my kids are the trustees of the irrevocable trust can we later change the name of the trustees?
4) Can the trust give a mortgage on the porperty to a third party. If so what will be the tax to be paid at the end of the year if for example the mortgage is for 300,000 15 years at 7.5%. I think that at this point it would have been better to sell the rpoperty to the trust originally in order to have some basis to deduct when the trust sells the property but I do not know if this has to be done by a sale or we can transfer the property to the trust for a consideration and pay the taxes on the consideration.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/24/2010
Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

On 5/14/2010, you were provided with an answer to a question, which you, perhaps inadvertantly, never Accepted. Thus, the expert was never paid. If you would like me to consider your new question, please consider returning to that previous answer and clicking Accept.

Thanks in advance,

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.