Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My best friend of 30 years passed away suddenly about 3 weeks…

Customer Question
My best friend of 30...
My best friend of 30 years passed away suddenly about 3 weeks ago. She lived in my home with me and my three kids who she adored and was the God-mother of. Her family has never excepted wholeheartedly the relationship Shelly and I had and her devotion to my family thus...I have a dilemma that is only getting more convoluted. Her father was named the executor or her will. It's my understanding that he hired an attorney to help see him through this process. Due to the uncertainty of the cause of death, an autopsy has been done. Since going to the memorial services (my ex-husband, three kids and I) my friend's family has treated me with zero respect or acknowledgment as to the truisms they know to be true as to my relationship with their family member. My family was "her family" much more in the sense of the meaning than her blood-line. Nevertheless, my concern is that after the initial time of mourning was concluded in an overt sense, I have asked in good-faith to see a copy of Shelly's will. Her family is insisting on coming to my home and retrieving her belongings in 72 hours. Now then, when I asked about the will, never did I assume such opposition would take place. I do not want to release things from my home until I am assured that the will does not have anything in it as to release of belongings and to whom. Moreover, I know well that my kids and I are beneficiaries to a substantial option of Shelly's estate and I would like to, for no other reason than curiosity, know what her will wishes were/are. Her family is saying that until the death certificate is released they can't give me a copy of the will and their word is final. I see their stance as unusual and a red flag. how can I obtain a copy of my best friend's will?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/22/2010
Estate Lawyer: dkennedy, Attorney replied 8 years ago
dkennedy
dkennedy, Attorney
Chat Conversation Started
dklawyer :

dklawyer :

If the executor won't give you a copy of the will voluntarily, you probably have to wait until it is filed at the courthouse and a probate case is opened. You might check at the courthouse and find out if perhaps it already has been filed. If so, you can just go there and get a copy of it.