Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother passed away last November, 2009. She did not leave…

Customer Question
My mother passed away last...
My mother passed away last November, 2009. She did not leave a will or estate. She had no money in her bank account, no car, no house. I just got a creditor's claim from a credit card company of $3818. The sent it to me as the Personal Representative. What does this mean? I did not co sign any loan or credit card,so why are they contacting me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/21/2010
Estate Lawyer: Thomas McJD, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney

they are contacting you only because you are the person that is supposed to be in charge (the personal representative). However, you are not responsible for the debt if you didn't co-sign or guarantee the loan, and this is true even though you are the "personal representative".

If the estate had property, you would be required to pay or settle claims of creditors of the estate. If there is no property, however, you have no obligation. You should just send a certified letter to them that there is no property of the estate so no payment can be made and ask that they cease further communication.

I believe I have answered your question. Your accept would be greatly appreciated. Of course, if I can provide clarification concerning your original question, please let me know.

If you have additional questions, I would be happy to assist, but as a courtesy I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you accept the answer to your first question before asking another.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Your "accept" (by clicking the green "Accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, neither I nor JustAnswer can be compensated for the time and resources expended.

You understand that your use of or communication on this forum, in any and all ways, is intended for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute and/or be relied upon as legal advice or be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. Further, you agree not to rely on anything I say and will obtain appropriate legal and or tax advice with an attorney or other professional licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal or other issue arises.
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
what happens if I don't respond to the letter?
Nothing, you don't have to respond. They'll probably keep trying to contact you if you don't tell them not to.