Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

What if any are my legal rights living in family home with…

Customer Question
What if any are my...
What if any are my legal rights living in family home with husband and his sister. Sister living in home not legal executor of estate, i have keys, mail to the address, and paying utilities....restraining order was served on my husband not me...I have possessions on property and locks have been changed without my removal of property?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/21/2010
Estate Lawyer: Daniel P., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Daniel P.
Daniel P., Attorney

Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will work diligently and quickly to answer your questions. I look forward to assisting you.

Why are you living in the home? Who is the executor?

We moved in home April 2010 were married April 23 house paid for...we pay all utilities and upkeep of house. We are 50 and 53 yrs old drawing unemployment, other sister 63 yrs old on "SSI planning for hip surgery. Mother died in 2007 executor sister in Los Angeles. My husband and sister got in heated argument she attacked him with iron and he defended himself..she fell down....and several days later filed TRO...excluding me. She informed me I dont have to leave but changed locks without notification...do I have any rights about my possesions on said property?
Whose name is XXXXX XXXXX titled in? Is there a probate going on?
The sister in Los Angeles who is the executor no probate going on just unfortunate situation do I need attorney to address locking me out?

The sister owns the house? Is there a lease? are you paying rent?

The sister that does not live in house is the executor....no lease we are living there paying utilities....my husband and I took over paying the utilities and the sister that filed the restraining order doesnt pay. We offered the executor money towards taxes and insurance on house....house paid for nobody paying rent...family house