Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Reversing decision to give up inheritance on dads estate…

Customer Question
My father died without a...
My father died without a will, which entitled me to 25% of his estate. I legally signed this "inheritance" over to my mother, but now feel that I've made a big mistake. She promised that she would continue to make my college loan payments with his life insurance money, as my dad would have wanted, but has recently decided that she will not be doing that anymore.

Her name is XXXXX XXXXX the college loans - it was only myself and my dad - so she is not legally required to continue to pay them. Is there any way to reverse my decision to give up my inheritnace, so that I can take care of paying these loans myself?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/20/2010
Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

You cannot reverse the process that has been carried out by the executor of the estate. If you feel that her promise to pay your college loans was the consideration for you signing over the inheritance , you can sue her for breach of contract. That's about it.

Please click on the green ACCEPT button so that I will be compensated for this answer. BONUSES for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated. If you have any follow up question feel free to ask it. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer.