Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My Great Aunt left her home to my mother in her will, it is…

Customer Question
My Great Aunt left her...
My Great Aunt left her home to my mother in her will, it is to be passed down to me and my brother and then to our children. I am 57 and have no children my brother is deceased he had a son in Ga. who is 27 and twin girls in SC who just turned 19. This property is in Alabama my mother would like to sell this property she is 76. What are her options and what is her responsibility to her grandchildren. Mother and I both live in GA and wish to dispose of this property.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/20/2010
Estate Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney at Law replied 8 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney at Law
Has the property been deeded to your mother in fee simple?
The wording in the will is I will and devise my homeplace, How do I find out about the fee simple?
It is not the will. It is the deed to your mother that will control. Was the property ever deeded to her and if so what does the deed say.
i don't have the deed but will find out what I can from my mother, I think she may have it. I will get back with you tomorrow, if that will work for you. Thank You
Just bookmark this page and come back when you have the info.
The deed my mother has is not in her name.
If there is no deed in her name then she does not own the property and cannot sell it. In order to sell she would need clear title with a deed in fee simple in her own name.