Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My parents have a living trust. My dad died 2 years ago and…

Customer Question
My parents have a living...
My parents have a living trust. My dad died 2 years ago and a/b trusts were established. What is the statute of limitations for challenge to 1) my dad's capacity in naming beneficiaries and 2) claiming that he was under undue influence in his gifts?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/15/2010
Estate Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
To challenge the trust under the grounds of lack of capacity, California probate states you have 120 days from getting notice of death of the settlor to contest. If no notice was ever sent then you would have upto four years to challenge based on lack of capacity to enter into such a trust and it's terms.

California probate code section 16061.7 states that such notice must be sent within 60 days of the death of a settlor and allow the recipient of the notice to request a copy of the trust. After receiving the mailed notice, the recipient has 120 days from the date of mailing to file a trust contest. If no contest is filed within a 120 days then the notice recipient may forfeit their right to file a contest.

But if no notice is mailed the statute of limitations in which a trust contest could be filed is much greater, and could be up to at least four years.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.