Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

When my Grandmother passed away, she left her house in MEXICO…

Customer Question
When my Grandmother passed away...
When my Grandmother passed away, she left her house in MEXICO to her only child, my Father. The TITLE of the building is still in my Grandmother's name. But, because of my Father's age & health issues, he cannot travel. What is the safest & easiest way to change the TITLE/DEED over to my Father's name so he can sell the building. At present we have someone taking care of the property and she was given a PROXY letter giving her permission to (only) show the building to potential buyers.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/12/2010
Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney
There are plenty of Mexico Consulates in the USA. See this link.

Edited by socrateaser on 6/12/2010 at 9:47 PM EST
I know where the Consulates are...that wasn't my question! I wanted to know what the safest procedure would be to get the Title in my Father's name so he can then sell it. It has to be done from the USA since he cannot travel due to his health.

The safest process is to have a Mexico court declare your father the rightful heir to the property. In order to do this, you would have to hire a Mexico lawyer to bring the matter to the court. Whether or not your father would actually have to appear is up to the court.

If as you say, your father cannot appear, then maybe your attorney can arrange some alternative process, such as a video deposition or telephone hearing.

Hope this helps.

Relist: Answer quality.
What's wrong with the answer?