Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother recently passed, she left her estate to go as her…

Customer Question
My mother recently passed, she...
My mother recently passed, she left her estate to go as her will follows. In her will all of her assests (after paying bills) were to go to my sister and i. She has a car that was financed and my sister and i could keep it or give it to her boyfriend. We cannot afford the payments so we decided to left the boyfriend have the vehicle. We have not yet signed any papers switching the vehicle to his name yet. My uncle who is the executer of the estate said that if he wanted to he could pay off the car and give it to the boyfriend. My sister and i do not feel this is right because we are NOT paying for a vehicle for this guy to just have. What can i do to fight this and make sure we are not buying this jerk of a boyfriend a new car?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/11/2010
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Hello and thank you for your question. does the will leave it to him?
No the will leaves nothing to this guy at all. It originally left a percentage of her house to him , but she sold the house before she passed and already gave him what she wanted to. Now there is nnothing left in the will that goes to this guy. The will states: at the time of my death all my outstanding bills are to be paid and whatever is left over goes to my two daughters.
If the will leaves him nothing, that controls and he need not get it. If the beneficiary under the will wants to give it to him, he should assume the loan.