Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

what is the 2011 estate tax exemption Is is $1 million or…

Customer Question
what is the 2011 estate...
what is the 2011 estate tax exemption? Is is $1 million or $3.5 million exemption. I have read both. And what is the RATE FOR 2011?
THANKS JEAN
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/11/2010
Estate Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Roger, Attorney
It is $1 million for 2011.

Excuse my venting but that is awful..what extremes..3.5 to 1 exemption..what major differences in life styles..one could experience with 3.5 vs.1...This tax is so totally unfair anyway...how does one plan...if it is only 1 million being exempted then one should probably give away many $13,000. Can my dad estate give $13 to a few family members and then ask them to give back to me? wILL THE CONGRESS OR SENATE DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?

It is awful that they fluctuate the exemptions. This started back in the early 2000's, with the exemptions cresting in 2008-2009.

His estate can gift away some of the money, however my guess is that there are caps on this giving. I'm not a CPA, so I don't know what those limits are.

My best advice is that you consult a CPA to help reduce any tax liability the estate may have.