Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

what are the federal estate tax and gift tax implications when…

Customer Question
what are the federal estate...
what are the federal estate tax and gift tax implications when quit claiming farm property?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/10/2010
Estate Lawyer: Law Pro, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Law Pro, Attorney
Who would you be quitclaiming the property to and for what amount of money?
my father would be quit claiming his half interest in farm land and buildings to an llc that his children formed. value is approximately 800,000.
OK. That's a completely different matter than transferring it to the children directly.

As such he would have to pay a gift tax on the transfer to the LLC of 39% - that's the rate for gifts between $750K and $1,000K.

So, I don't think that's really what he wants to do with the property. Why the LLC?

what about his lifetime gift tax exemption of 1mm? LLC was formed years ago to purchase other property/assets from our father
I'm going to opt out for another expert to assist you. I don't want to be erroneous in my statements to you.