Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

my mom is in a nursing home on title 19 and i live in her house…

Customer Question
my mom is in a...
my mom is in a nursing home on title 19 and i live in her house house is still in her name can home take house to pay for nursing home
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/10/2010
Estate Lawyer: Daniel P., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Daniel P.
Daniel P., Attorney

Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will work diligently and quickly to answer your questions. I look forward to assisting you.

If you can show that there is a reasonable expectation that she MAY return home then they can't take the home.

If you (son/daughter) are under 21 than they can't sell the home.

If you (son/daughter) are disabled or blind they can't sell the home.

If the spouse is still living in the home, they can't force you to sell it.

Here is a good article about this situation: http://www.larcc.org/pamphlets/elderly/your_home_t19.htm