Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

An Independent Contractor working for my California company…

Customer Question
An Independent Contractor working for...
An Independent Contractor working for my California company died on Monday (not work related). To whom do we pay the money due to her? Divorced mother of three, no will, lived with parents.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/9/2010
Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

You pay it to the person's estate, if and when the personal representative appears with "letters testamentary" certified by the probate court (Prob. Code 8405), and requests payment -- or, if the worker's estate is worth less than $100,000 gross, then you can pay any person who presents a small estate affidavit, pursuant to Probate Code Sectons 13100-13115.

Until either of the above occurs, you just set the money aside and wait.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.