Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My brother left a will leaving everything to our other brother…

Customer Question
My brother left a will...
My brother left a will leaving everything to our other brother and nothing to me. This is in NYS. The will was written in 1982. Do I have any recourse?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/8/2010
Estate Lawyer: Daniel P., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Daniel P.
Daniel P., Attorney

Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will work diligently and quickly to answer your questions. I look forward to assisting you.

If you feel that the will was written under duress or he didn't understand what he was signing, you can contest the will and possibly have it revoked.

However, the fact that it was written 28 years ago doesn't help you. The Judge will say that if he was under duress at that time or didn't know what he was signing at that time, why didn't he redo the will over the past 28 years.

Unfortunately, I don't think you really have much recourse. Wish I had a better answer for you. Please remember to click the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may get credit for assisting you today. Thank you!