David Kennett
David Kennett, Attorney
Experience:  25 years practicing attorney
3396227

I have a question regarding bank accounts intestate. At the

I have a question regarding bank accounts intestate. At the time of his death, our father had 3 joint accounts in Tennessee with a woman he was living with but not married to. The bank claims that because they are joint accounts, she has the right of succession and the accounts are now hers. Is this correct? If she was not married (even though they were joint accounts) does that supercede the right of the heirs to his half of the accounts?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  David Kennett replied 7 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - I believe you are correct however if the accounts were joint with the right to survivorship then they would belong to his girlfriend. You certainly can make a claim by opening an estate and filing a suit for one half of the accounts. If the accounts are with the right to survivorship then they would belong to the girlfriend.

Dave Kennett