Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

What is the typical cost to set up a special needs trust

? Is it worthwhile...
What is the typical cost to set up a special needs trust ? Is it worthwhile to create one with only $40,000 to contribute?
4/17/2010
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney at Law
You can check around but usually 2500 to 5000. You may want to think about setting it up and using the money to purchase life insurance on their parent. That is a typical method of funding a special needs trust.
Is it true that after death of the beneficiary of an SNT, the remainder of the trust must be paid to the state to offset any medical costs paid by Medicaid or Social Security Disability? Would your suggestion of purchasing life insurance with the trust funds avoid this eventuality?
No it would not. However, a wise trustee sees that the funds are spent.
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney at Law
lwpat
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney at Law