legalesquire
legalesquire, Attorney
Experience:  Probate, uncontested and contested, wills, trusts, intestacy are all areas of expertise.
19355476

HOW TO CLAIM AN INHERITANCE IN SINGAPORE?

Category: Estate Law
Expert:  legalesquire replied 8 years ago.
Singapore law is based upon the Muslim Sharia law. First there are certain estate debts that must be paid including payment to heirs under a valid Muslim will (Wasiyyah) which has limitations (not more than 1/3 of the person's estate unless all heirs agree) which require that certain monies go to heirs under Muslim law that are not named in the will. Any bequest contrary to the Syariah (Islamic law) invalidates the Will. The heirs under muslim law (outside the will) must obtain from the Singapore Syariah Court for a Certification of Inheritance (‘Sijil Warisan’) www.syariahcourt.gov.sg this can only be obtained if you are a Muslim lawful heir (Waris). These heirs are in three categories: (1) Ashabul-Furud (as stated in the Quran) (2) Asabah (those entitled to any remaining share of an estate), and (3) Dhawil-Arham (remaining blood relatives not in 1 or 2). One can loose an inheritance if (a) one is not a muslim, (b) if one caused the death of the deceased intentionally or unintentionally or (c) if one voluntarily renounces the inheritance. A computation or "trial calcuation" of the shares to respective heirs (for private use only) can be obtained (with all the necessary information about heirs) at the above website as well. The applicant to the Syariah Court for Estate Administration has to be a Muslim beneficiary to the estate of the deceased, The Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS), A law firm on behalf of a beneficiary, Public Trustee or the Court. To apply online you need the Death Certificate and the passports of all the beneficiaries, certain fees are charged.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what is the case if the decessed ,or the beneficiary are not not Singapore citisans?
If the deceased was non-Muslim was there a Will? Was it already probated in some other jurisdiction? Was any estate proceeding (probate or intestate administration) opened in the place of the deceased's domicile (home country)?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
NO,THERE IS NO WILL,AND THERE WAS NO ESTATE PROCEEDING , AND NON OF THE PARTIES ARE MUSLIM ,OR SINGAPORE CITISANS, ONLY A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT , LEFT ON AN INVESTMENT ACCOUNT.
Letters of Administration can be issued under the Intestate Succession Act, though if the bank has branches where the person ordinarily was domicled (you don't clearly state the place of their domicle, they do not have to be a citizen to be domicled in a country). Perhaps the bank will accept Letters of Administration from their home country or from the Court in Singapore (if domicled in Singapore at the time of death). In this respect Singapore is like other Anglo-American legal jurisdictions, the law is very similar. Section 4 of the Intestate Succession Act states that movable property (i.e. money in an account for instance) is governed by the law of the place of the person's domicile at the time of death).

One must apply for Letters of Administration somewhere and under Singapore law this requires two guarantors. Proof of heirship must be established. It may be prudent to hire a lawyer in Singapore to obtain these Letters of Administration for the heir or heirs. Depending on the amount there may also be tax implications. Here is a link to the Singapore Act in question: Intestate Succession Act.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
MILLION THANK,BE SO KIND TO TELL ME HOW CAN I CONTACT YOU IN THE FUTURE?AND IF THERE IS ANYONE YOU CAN RECOMAND ME IN SINGAPORE?
The terms of service do not allow you to solicit off site contacts:

"You are prohibited from soliciting Users of this Site, including Experts, for any purpose (including inviting other Users to contact you off of the Site or inviting Users to participate in a website that competes with JustAnswer or the Site or charges money to receive answers or to communicate with purported Experts or specialists)."

If you accepted my Answer please click on the "accept" button. Thank you. I don't work for free. This is very inexpensive information compared to what a legal consultation would cost. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
SORRY,AS YOU SEE I AM NOT REALY FAMILIAR WITH LEGAL ISUES , I DID NOT INTEND TO OFEND YOU IN ANY WAY,MILLION THANKS !
You are not offending me, just accept the Answer. BTW internet protocol is that people who use caps are SHOUTING. You should take off the caps lock on your keyboard and read about internet ettiquite. BTW are you really just trying to get free advice?