How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years experience in estate and trust planning, probate, and wills
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i endorse a check made out to my deceased mothers

Resolved Question:

how do i endorse a check made out to my deceased mother's estate
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.
Who is the executor or administrator of the estate?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
As her only son I have been acting as executor but have no formal paperwork designating me.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.
What state are you in? How much money does she have in all?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She died 5 months ago and all her funds have been distributed and all her accounts are closed.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.
How much is this check for? Who was the check from?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Check is for $360 as refund for overpayment from her healthcare provider - United healthcare aka AARP..
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.

Your in a tough position because you should have filed for a small estate. How you were able to handle her finances without doing such is a credit to you.


AARP isn't the type of business that will issue another check made payable to you.


If your bank won't cash such then you may yet have to file for a small estate - it will probably cost you about $150.00 to do such but then you will be able to cash the check.


Technically you don't have the authority (legal or otherwise) to endorse her check - in fact, to do such is basically a type of fraud and/or forgery.

Law Pro and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you