How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask VanDLaw Your Own Question
VanDLaw, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 833
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate, Inheritance Issues
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
VanDLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am considering getting married. I am 80. My husband to be

This answer was rated:

I am considering getting married. I am 80. My husband to be wants to control my life if he passes away first. I would not be allowed to travel to my childrens homes in Ny for more than 1 or 2 nights. He does not want me to have any freedom of movement. I would not leave him now-he has COPD. Is that type of slavery legal in a pre nup or a trust?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

San Diego, California

Already Tried:
We have been together 27 years. This is the first time he has talked marriage. We get on well because I know he is controlling. He knows I have little money. My first husband was having an affair. I divorced him 1981. He had managed to take all before I realized the problem. We had all assets in either or signatures. I just didn't know if he could control my life from the grave. All I want to do is feel free to visit my family.



I will be happy to assist you. Whether you decide to get married to this man is irrelevant. Married or not married he cannot direct your movements or dictate who you visit whether he is alive or dead, husband or not. Even if you signed such a paper, who would be around to enforce it? It is unenforceable, and no attorney would even draw it up.


Slavery is illegal, there is no form of "legal slavery". You are free to visit your family, now and after he dies, and do not let him tell you otherwise.





VanDLaw and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you